Monday, September 21, 2009

Dolce Pics #63 - Fun with GIMP.

GIMP is a great graphics program with a lot of capability.  The only limitation I've found so far is in the ability of the operator (me).  When Laura put out this weeks What's Your Play #63 I decided I'd have a little fun and work on some of my GIMP skills.  Below you'll see smaller images of the original and my modifications.  By layering the picture and eliminating various elements I was able to "Oilify and Canvas" the horse, change the color of the bars to brown, "Cartoon" the stall, and "Desaturate" the ceiling.  I should note the these are just beginning skills, but they sure can be a lot of fun to play with.  If you can't afford the more expensive programs you should give GIMP a try.

To see larger versions of the photographs click on the image.


2 comments:

laurahana said...

Hi David. I really enjoyed reading about how much fun you're having with layers using GIMP. I really like the how you brought out the blacks in the walls and even changed the colour of the bars. Desaturating the ceiling also was a great idea. Thanks for playing!

Killlashandra said...

Very cool. I like the big picture to see the details. The cartoon look behind the bars so to speak turned out nice. :)